Coffee is a drink consumed by billions of people worldwide from housewives to a roofing contractor. In fact, some people can’t live without it as they’ve been addicted. In this article, I will share some interesting facts about this wonder beverage that are worthy to know.
1. Every year, over 500 billion coffee cups are drunk. This is a lot of coffee. Half of these cups are consumed during breakfast.
2. Do you know that coffee grows on trees? Yes, coffee trees can grow up to thirty feet tall. However, the coffee farmers prune them down to about 10 feet to make picking easy. Also, the coffee bean is not that bright red berry you see – it’s the seed inside! The beans are often called cherries.
3. Do you know where the phrase, “Cup of Joe” came from? It comes from G1 Joes, American servicemen in WWII which seemed to like coffee. Additionally, the word, “Americano” also is derived from the American GI’s during WWII who would order espresso together with water to dilute the strong coffee flavor.
4. Coffee is the 2nd most traded commodity in the world. This seems unbelievable, but it’s the truth. It follows oil which is the most traded commodity.
5. Do you know that coffee is a source of fuel? Yes, you can use it to fuel a car although it’s not very efficient. So today you’ve known than coffee does not only fuel our bodies but also can fuel cars.
6. All the coffee in the world is grown in the Bean Belt. This is the area between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. And the only state that grows coffee in the US is Hawaii.
7. Do you know that espresso is not a coffee bean? When you hear this word, do not assume that it’s a type of coffee bean as it refers to a drink. To be more specific, it’s a way of coffee preparation which usually involves hot pressurized water shot through finely ground coffee.
8. Do you know what makes coffee so popular? It’s actually to the rise of Islam. The religion would prohibit its followers from consuming alcohol, but it approved coffee consumption.
9. Are you eager to know what or who discovered coffee? It’s a goat! According to an Ethiopian legend known as Kaldi, his goats would become more energetic after consuming coffee tree cherries. So he decided to prove with his own body by consuming the cherries and to his surprise, he experienced the same feeling! What a discovery! Although some people refute this claim, many people still believe it.
10. Lastly, coffee is a drug. Yes, when you take an excess of it, it can be toxic. When you take about 100 cups of coffee, you will be sending yourself to a grave. In fact, the water in such amount of coffee would be enough to kill you even before the caffeine itself. Additionally, any amount of coffee has enough caffeine to make somebody sick, that is if he or she is not used to it. Caffeine would bring about raised body temperature, mood swings, and palpitations.
There are many facts about coffee and the above are some of them. I hope you’ve learned something knew from them.
This amazing company who specializes in Fishing Charters Tofino is our sponsor for today’s post, thanks for your support!